Wednesday 23 December 2015

Sydney stopover - episode 2 - time with the family

Sydney Opera House

Anne, Patrick and Christopher came down to the boat after the UNICEF day to have a look around and then remove me out of Sydney. We stopped of at The Rocks where after a wander around and a trip down The Suez Canal we had good view of the Opera House and bridge. A delicious Chinese meal later we headed back to Richmond to the northwest of Sydney where they live for a few days of R & R.

Saturday morning dawned and weather wise it was a warm and beautifully sunny morning. The heat
hadn't quite hit yet! Breakfast of fresh mango followed by Patrick's homemade scones and strawberry
jam set us all up for the day. I love that the Australian family are all still so very English even after nearly 45 years of living out here. When we meet up it doesn't seem like ages since we last saw each other and it is wonderful to meet the next generation and to witness them growing up into such delightful young adults. The importance of family is highlighted and I know that one of the 'side effects' of this trip is that I will try and keep in touch with everyone more. I would love to come out
and spend a decent amount of time travelling around and catching up with everyone - two weeks, although ages in 'Clipper' time is not nearly long enough. It is lovely to be away from 'The Clipper
Family' for a few days and to get some sense of normality away from the pressures of having to get the boat ready for the next race.

The day continued with a very English tea of cucumber and egg sandwiches, strawberries, cherries
and a Victoria sponge, made by Caroline, followed by a viscous game of croquet. The setting was perfect and under the shade of an Angophra tree. Congratulations to Molly and Patrick who shot
round the course sending the rest of us skuttling in all directions whenever we were unfortunately
close enough to be 'roqueted'. Caroline and I came in a veritable third after having great trouble in
hitting the finishing pole. What a wonderful way to spend an afternoon.

Sunday dawned, another perfect day, and it was off to church for the early service before we went to a small cafe for a wonderful breakfast overlooking a stunning view. I am loving the closeness of the 'Australian' family and how they all seem to look out for each other. It would be great if I could live closer to mum and my siblings back in the UK - yet again it highlights the importance of family and how I need to make more of an effort when I get back.

Patrick, Anne, Caroline and I then headed up to Katoomba in the Blue Mountains where we visited
the Three Sisters, an eroded rock formation surrounded by spectacular views. Not too hot and enough time for Patrick to buy a Panama hat in a famous hatterie before we had to head back, Caroline and I to Berambing where I stayed with her for a couple of nights, and the others back to Richmond where Anne was taking part in a choral concert.

I then had the privilege of staying with Caroline for a couple of nights. John and Caroline have been building their beautiful house for an number of years now and although not yet completed the potential is enormous. Secluded, quiet and with beautiful views across the Blue Mountains. Caroline and I spent the next day talking, relaxing, preparing lunch for the  family, feeding the horse in the dark and generally catching up with each other. We last saw each year two and a half years ago when she visited Australia so lots to catch up on.

I needed to be back on the boat on the 22nd so it was a day out for the family and we all came down
to Sydney on the train so that they could visit the boat and see where their mad cousin/niece was spending the year travelling around the world.

I am now back on the boat but will be catching the train back to Richmond so that I can spend Christmas Eve and Day with the extended family. Boat preparation continues apace and I am hoping
that I can get away by about 2pm. Patrick and Anne will then bring me back to Sydney early on
Boxing Day so that I can settle on the boat in time for slipping lines just after 1000 hrs.

This will probably be my last post before the race starts as everything is going to get quite chaotic with Christmas and final preparations. So I would like to wish  everyone a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year and I will be back in touch again when I get to Hobart. This will be a very short stopover so I can't promise I will b able to write much more than to let you all know that I have arrived safely.










1 comment:

  1. Wonderful photos! The race has featured on the UK news. Good luck and a Happy New Year! M&Jxx

    ReplyDelete