Thursday 17 December 2015

Albany

I have now got a system for transferring photos from my camera to the iPod and into my blog so I thought I would share some of the photos from the stopover in Albany.

We arrived too late from Cape Town for the crew party but this was compensated for by the arrival of my good friend, Linda, from university days and her husband, Martin. They had rented an apartment about a ten minute walk from the marina and were very generous in letting Janice, Neill (both RTWers) and myself stay with them. Linda arrived with her arm in plaster having broken her wrist a couple of days previously as she clambered over some rocks to take a closer look. That's geologists for you.

This accident is payback for when Linda suggested I put my feet on the axle of my bike 40 years ago as we cycled back to the caravan after a day's geological field work up in Shropshire. It was a good down hill ride along the A5 until my foot went into the spokes and I somersaulted over the handle bars, only to break my right wrist!

Martin was very helpful to Janice, our Chief Victualler, as he drove her around fetching and collecting shopping while Linda helped with the actual shopping. Thank to both of you for all your help.

When I managed a day off from working on the boat I spent the day with Linda and Martin. We went to the ANZAC centre where there is an inspirational display and memorial to those that travelled from Albany to Europe at the beginning of WW1. We then continued to the other side of the Bay to the old Whaling Station. Unfortunately we were too late to get into the museum but instead went for a lovely walk along the cliffs looking out towards the Southern Ocean and our route into Albany. M and L then stayed to wave us off as we left for Sydney a couple of days later - thank you.








No comments:

Post a Comment