Saturday 8 August 2015

Saying Goodbye

With just over three weeks to go before I set sail from St Katharine Docks I am starting the process of saying 'Goodbye' to the family and friends I won't be seeing for the next year.  This week is the last full week on land as I go down to Gosport on Monday 10th August to start the first boat 'prep week' before the delivery up to London, the final 'prep week', and then departure on the 30th.

This past week has been one of great personal learning as I am realising how much my friends care about me, and how much they are going to miss me while I am away. 

Angela - Thank you for all your support while I have been moving house, and what about our lunches at The Good Intent.  Perhaps we should be booking for August 2016!

The 1830 hrs swimming class at the Hart Leisure Centre on a Monday evening - I really enjoyed our 'goodbye' dinner after swimming on Monday, and thank you for paying for me.

Lindsey and our walk around Fleet Pond on Tuesday evening.  No deer this time but a lovely amble followed by the usual Indian takeaway.

Martin, Me, Linda and Charles
Linda and Martin - a wonderful 'Tea at the Shard' with friends from University days.  Lots of banter, too many sandwiches and cakes, and copious amounts of champagne.  The view was stunning as well!

A bizarre experience as we sat and ate our picnic while the general public wandered around staring at us, but definitely worthwhile and if you get the opportunity to go up to the top, then take it.  We could see as far as Croydon to the south and the views all around were magnificent.

Thank you Linda and Martin, and Charles.


St Katharine Docks from The Shard

St Paul's Cathedral from 'the top'






Frensham Pond Sailability on Thursday morning - a place where I have always felt welcomed and included, and 'at home'.  My usual 'B&B' (brie and bacon roll) was followed by an enormous slice of chocolate cake.  Thank you, Carol, for your thoughtfulness.

Then again this evening, Friday evening, as I joined helpers and sailors for the annual summer BBQ.  The kind words of encouragement and support, the wisdom of Paul and Clare who both sailed in the second Clipper race back in 1998-99.  Thank you to everyone.



The Pirates of Tabard Street







 Today, Friday, brought further farewells from friends and colleagues I used to work with during my oil company days.  The traditional NBL with unrepeatable poems, pirates, and gifts from 'secret' donors, all taking place in the upstairs dining room of The Royal Oak in Tabard Street.

I appreciate the effort everyone made to be there, all ten of you, and again, thank you for your words of support and friendship as I embark on this madcap adventure.









People keep asking how I am feeling about going away and if I am honest it is difficult to answer.  I fluctuate from being a frozen 'rabbit in headlights' to a 'headless chicken'.  The whole concept seems a little surreal at the moment and as the time for departure gets closer I realise how much more preparation is needed.  At the end of the day I will be leaving on the 30th and if I haven't bought something, packed something else or thought of yet another thing - then what is the worse that could happen.  And as Paul pointed out this evening - there are shops in the rest of the world.

I don't think I am worried about the sailing aspect of the adventure but rather leaving the family behind.  How are they going to cope?  What will happen if ........  ?  The irrational worries of a mother who is leaving behind her two 'children'.  They are both old enough (and ugly enough) to be able to look after themselves and I think that this year will be the making of them as they learn to become responsible for their own day to day life.


Unicef boat on Level 4 training, August 2015
What next - Prep week down in Gosport from the 10th to 14th of August.  I will come back home for the weekend and then return on Monday 17th to prepare for the delivery trip to St Katharine Docks between the 18th and 20th.  Back down to Fleet for the final weekend and then to St Katharine's on the morning of the 24th in time for the 'Boat naming Ceremony' in the evening.  I am attending a one day seminar/workshop on 'Mentoring' (I think) being run by one of the boat sponsors, Mission Performance, on the 25th and then all crew on Leg 1 need to report to Clipper on the morning of the 26th for the final countdown to the race.  I also have to fit in a Clipper party on the 28th and a final Unicef 'do' on our final evening in town, the 29th. 

All this partying is tiring with too much food and drink being consumed on a daily basis.  Still, in a couple of weeks time I will embark on an 11 months weight loss programme, so maybe a couple of extra cakes won't cause too much damage.

I would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone of my fund raising efforts.  Both Ocean Stars Trust and  Frensham Pond Sailability are charities close to my heart so please dig deep and make a donation
 
and come to think of it there is nothing to stop you donating more than once over the next eleven months.

No comments:

Post a Comment