Thursday 9 April 2015

Preparation





Going away for eleven months is quite a big thing and I am starting to 'lose the plot' under all the multi-tasking that is having to happen to prepare for it all.  There are so many different things to think about so I thought I 'd share what is going on for me at the moment.

As I see it this preparation can be divided into different categories including moving house, training, getting fit, buying kit and finishing work.  So what's it all about and how's it going.



4 bed Terraced home in Elvetham Crescent, Fleet...
Our potential new home
No 6, the one in the middle
I'll start with moving house - I am down-sizing, no mean feat in itself, so that I can release some capital to pay for this adventure.  But also this house is too big for us, and especially for Tom and Rebecca to look after while I am away.  We have a buyer for this one and have a town house about 1/2 mile from here that we are looking to buy.  It's all in the solicitor's hands at the moment and hopefully we will be able to move by the end of May/beginning of June.  I want to be settled and unpacked in good time before leaving the UK at the end of August.  Though I understand from talking to the solicitor today that it might not be until the end of June that we can actually move - not good news!!


The cabin is filled with
shelves of toys
 
The fun now is to sort all our belongings and try and decide what we need.  I think that after I've lived on a boat for eleven months then a room will appear enormous and possessions superfluous to requirements - or that's what I am hoping.  It's books and toys  - and they seem to be increasing in number as I write.  Because I'm not sure what I'll be doing when I get back I don't want to throw them away, but at the same time I don't want to be storing stuff unnecessarily.  What a dilemma!  Ebay, car boot sales and charity shops for the next few months should provide the solution.



Training is the next big thing that needs to be done and this consists of four compulsory weeks on one of the Clipper boats, either 68ft or 70ft depending on what's available.


Palstek innen.jpg
For those who don't know -
this is what a bowline looks like
Level 1 is all about crewing skills and as part of the selection process I'll need to successfully complete this week before I'm guaranteed a place on the Clipper Race.  It is reportedly a 'boot camp' and that the race itself is tame in comparison.  Everyone needs to have an understanding of what it takes to sail one of these boats and considering that up to 40% of the crew have never sailed before it is an important step.  Knots - one of which, the bowline, needs to be tied with eyes closed, behind your back, under water and upside down - not literally, but they all need to become second nature.   This week is based out of Cowes and we have the luxury of mooring up each night, or so I believe.

I'm starting L1 next week, on the 10th April, and I think that this will give me a reality check.  How am I feeling about it?  Excited to be starting the training and meeting other people who are on the race, but also wondering how I am going to cope with sea sickness and living cooped up with strangers 24/7.  Once completed I'll let you know how it went - watch this space.

Race Training 30
Learning to live at 45 degrees
Level 2 looks at offshore racing and life on board.  It teaches us to live at a 45 degree angle for prolonged periods while racing and how to work in a watch system, race with broken sleep and to sail through the night.  I think we are offshore for most of the time so will need to think about 'mother watch' - cooking and cleaning - as well as maintenance, safety, you name it, etc.  I will be doing this week at the end of April, starting on the 26th, the day after Crew Allocation.


Click to see a larger image



Level 3 involves asymmetric spinnaker training and racing techniques.  Very technical, demanding and physical but a chance to hone our sailing skills.  Everything is about sail trim, making the boat go faster and understanding the weather systems that we will be racing in.  I will be taking part in L3 from the 15th to 20th May - hopefully when the weather is a bit warmer.






Aberdeen Asset Management Cowes Week 10
Level 4 will be on the boat I will be going round the world on, with my skipper and crew, so it will be a chance to discuss team tactics and to start building those relationships that will make such a difference while racing.  It's a chance to race against the rest of the Clipper fleet while practicing starts and building that psychological edge over our rivals.


I can't wait to start training later this week, to start meeting other crew and to get to sail these awesome boats.

Getting fit is going to start in earnest now that I have finished in the schools.  I'll have time to do some sort of exercise most days and once I have been out on a boat I will have a better understanding of what I need to focus on.  I understand it's mostly upper body strength and core work that needs working on so 'gym here I come'.

Buying kit is one of those activities that could easily get out of control.  The list is endless but with a luggage allowance of 20 - 30kgs for the year I am going to have to be quite selective.  We get given our outer gear plus a number of jackets so it is the base and mid layers that need to be acquired.  There is great debate about whether or not a dry suit is advisable with pros and cons for each.  It takes ages to get them on and off, but once on it will keep me dry.  I am not planning on falling overboard but having to work on the foredeck in rough weather will mean getting quite wet and cold without one. 



The other big outlay are boots, and again there is great debate as to which are the best ones to buy.  I have gone for these nice red ones which have had good reviews and are extremely comfortable, and hopefully hard wearing.

Then there are all the extras like head torch, gloves, socks, dry bags, sleeping bag, music, camera etc. etc.

Finishing work has nearly happened with schools ending just before Easter and my private work continuing until just before I leave.  I am ending with clients here at home by the end of April in the hope that we will move soon after but will continue with work away from home for a while.

So - it is all coming together and the excitement is building.  The support I am getting from friends and family is outstanding and everyone seems 100% behind what I am doing - so thank you.  As I said earlier my first level of training starts tomorrow on the 10th and I am looking forward to getting out onto the water.  There is a high pressure system over us at the moment so the skies are clear and the winds light - not ideal and it doesn't look any better for next week.  Still, I'll be able to top up my tan.






No comments:

Post a Comment